Friday, October 1, 2021

1950's Patou Suit

This was my inspiration photo for Sydney's latest vintage style suit, a vintage Vogue pattern from the 50s.  I didn't 100% nail the neckline I think it looks great on her.  










The peplum jacket and skirt are made from raw silk from Cocomaran on Etsy.  The belt and handbag are black lambskin.  The belt buckle was originally gold tone so I painted it with some back enamel.  For the bag, I did use pattern #154 by Classic Doll Designs.  The only change I made was placing a couple of metal eyelets to attach the strap to.  Especially if you like dressing Gene, Diane really does a wonderful job of recreating vintage styles.  
















I created the hat from a piece of black sinamay decorated with bows, little ostrich feathers and a green rose  






To mold the hat, I used the cap off a prescription bottle covered in plastic wrap.  The sinamay is dampened after which I secured it to the cap with a rubber band.  I then set it on a 6" styrofoam ball (that still has the plastic wrap that came on it) and pinned it into shape.  After allowing it to dry overnight, I trimmed the brim to about 2" and bound the edge with black bias trim.  Little bias tubes of the same fabric were used to make the band and the bows.  


No comments:

Post a Comment