The outfit Tyler is wearing represents a look that was popular in the 1950's, dresses with matching coats for spring. The coat is rose silk dupioni lined with the dress fabric which is Liberty of London Tana lawn. I love working with both of these gorgeous fabrics. And who doesn't love florals for spring. When it comes to 50's fashion (as well as other decades) Vintage Dancer is a super useful website full of fashion history, photos, and inspiration.
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
This was a tough one to photograph because the fabric is a rose and silver color change silk taffeta that wouldn't come across in the pictures. I combined it with an old piece of maroon cotton velveteen from my stash. I didn't particularly care for the shrug/shawl in the original photo so I replaced it with a bolero. I started with a pattern from Matisse doll fashions because I thought the neckline would suit this dress. But I did change the sleeves from set-in to dolman to more closely resemble the original.
The jewelry is from LovelyGirl on Ebay although I removed the magnetic clasp from the necklace and replaced it with a hook to reduce bulk.
And here is the inspiration for this look.
Sunday, October 24, 2021
I'm actually happy with the way this one turned out even though I took it apart to change the collar a bit. Maybe some day I'll get to the point where something comes together right the first time. The fabric is a gorgeous vine print silk jacquard again from French Fashions. I was committed to using a piece of olive green faux leather that was in my stash for the handbag but didn't have anything for a matching hat, and ladies of the 50's were nothing if not matchy-matchy. I tried making one out of white crinoline then painting it with acrylic paint to match the bag. It looked horrible. So the Boston Terrors and I piled in the car and headed to Joann where I found something that was a reasonable match even though it is (GASP) polyester.
And, finally, the inspiration for this outfit.
I'm way behind in posting mostly because I don't take photos after every outfit is finished. Setting up for photos in my small living room is a pain. This gown is made from silk taffeta and lined with china silk. I really like how the beading turned out but I'm not 100% happy with the fit of the bodice and that's because I did something I would tell anyone else not to do--I cut the front on the fold. I generally never do that. I always make a full bodice pattern piece on tissue paper because even an 1/8" can create a difference in the fit. I would have liked the back drape a little fuller but, since this isn't tissue taffeta, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to gather the fullness into the waist.
The earrings are by Lovelygirl on Ebay and I made the necklace and bracelet from rhinestone chain. You can buy little clamp-on ends with loops to finish the ends of this kind of chain.
Friday, October 1, 2021
Cocomaran on Etsy. The belt and handbag are black lambskin. The belt buckle was originally gold tone so I painted it with some back enamel. For the bag, I did use pattern #154 by Classic Doll Designs. The only change I made was placing a couple of metal eyelets to attach the strap to. Especially if you like dressing Gene, Diane really does a wonderful job of recreating vintage styles.
I created the hat from a piece of black sinamay decorated with bows, little ostrich feathers and a green rose