Sunday, October 24, 2021

Vintage Inspired Silk Brocade Cocktail Dress

I had this beautiful piece of silk brocade from French Fashions that I thought would lend itself to this vintage cocktail dress.  So I set about working on a pattern.  This one didn't come off without a hitch.  






















































The original skirt doesn't have a center front seam but I picked out a pattern for a circle skirt that I had made for a previous design and cut it out before remembering that the previous skirt had a couple pleats in it.  Oops.  I didn't have enough fabric to recut it so the only way to keep the circle shape was to take the extra fabric out of the center front.  Not a tragedy.  I kept fitting the bodice as I was putting it together and still somehow ended up short at the center back.  Another oops.  So I was able to add a placket to the right side and get it to close but the center back isn't quite, uh, centered.  My carpenter friend always says measure twice, cut once.  Good words of advice.  But I still think I got close to the inspiration picture and it looks so pretty on Sydney.  





No comments:

Post a Comment