Thursday, June 3, 2021

Tonner Dolls-My New Thing

 Although Robert Tonner dolls were introduced 30 years ago I never knew they existed until a couple of years ago.  I thought they were so beautiful I started picking up naked ones on Ebay so I could dress them, as well as make jewelry for them.  Another advantage is their 16" height.  I used to sew a lot for my nieces' Barbie dolls, as well as making miniatures, but that size is now a challenge to my failing eyesight.  I started out using commercial patterns for my dolls.  Two good ones are DB Doll Patterns and Designs by Jude.  You can also find old McCall's patterns on Etsy.  These are all things I made last year before I started getting more adventurous.  

This dress on Esme is a variation on a pattern from DB Doll.  The hat and crocheted bag are also from DB although I made my hat from crinoline which necessitated changing the construction from all sewing to some gluing.  The necklace and earrings were made by using various bits and beads.  












This hat was made from needlepoint canvas that I applied a watery glue solution to and shaped the crown over a form.  A 2" styrofoam ball from the craft store is the perfect size for this.  I made sure and covered it with plastic wrap first.  This was all completed with tacky glue.  The necklace was inspired by and falls very short of the beautiful work of Isabelle from Paris.  
















This outfit for Kit was inspired by a 30-year-old skirt that I will never fit into or wear again but still hangs in my closet.  The hat and bag are made from needlepoint canvas.  The jewelry was fun to do though.  



Esme is wearing a jacket that was made from a pattern I bought from Brenda at Matisse doll fashion.  I think these are human patterns that she somehow resizes to fit 12" and 16" dolls.  These are for people who like a challenge;  they don't come with instructions or seam allowances.  But even if you don't sew, you should click the link and look at Brenda's gorgeous work.  

I haven't figured out a good way to get the dolls to stand pretty for photos so I made the table to lean them against out of a candle pedestal I found on Amazon and a 6" round mirror from Michael's.  The photo background is from Facets Boutique








 
The jacket that Esme is wearing is from a pattern by DB Doll Patterns.  The skirt is silk that I pleated in an ancient gadget called the Pretty Pleater that I used to use to make dollhouse stuff.  NEVER throw anything away.  You might need it 30 years down the road.  The lambskin bag is one of my first attempts at working with leather.  I have improved since then as you'll see when I get around to that post.  





2 comments:

  1. Wow! Absolutely beautiful. Your work, both jewelry and clothes, is so impressive. I was able to zoom in and get close enough to see the details. Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete