Tuesday, November 15, 2022

OOAK Theatre De La Mode Plaid Suit for Gene

 






















This is a project I've wanted to do for a while because I had this piece of plaid linen/cotton that I thought looked a lot like the original, and I drafted the pattern some time ago.  Matching plaids in this scale is a chore so I won't be repeating this one.  The inspiration is a plaid suit from the Theatre De La Mode exhibit which I've referenced before.  I couldn't find a good picture of the original so maybe it's one of the pieces that didn't survive.  The skirt is a light rayon.  After I got the jacket done, I decided the skirt was not in proportion, meaning 1/2" too long.  That meant either remaking it, or cutting it off and rehemming the lining to the skirt by hand, which is what I ended up doing.  I can't tell from the pic that I have (posted at the end) what the hat was made of but it kind of looks like it might be covered in flower petals.  Not having those on hand, I decided to make it from cotton pique, which gives it texture, and add some flowers on the back.  The jacket and skirt are both fully lined in silk/cotton.  The belt is faux leather with a black buckle.  I haven't made the shoulder bag pictured with the original yet but I may do that.  In the meantime, I posed the doll with a lambskin bag from my own stash.  

This outfit--shirt, jacket, belt, and hat--is available for $145.00.






























No comments:

Post a Comment