Friday, June 11, 2021

Shopping in My Closet (for Fabric)

 There is a corner of my bedroom closet that got damp and moldy when my roof leaked, and needs to be torn out and repaired.  My boyfriend/ace handyman has been bugging me for months to get my closet emptied out so he can fix it.  Honestly, I retired 12 years ago and haven't worn 3/4 of the stuff in there in years but I really have to be in the right mood to get rid of stuff.  But I did repurpose one thing!  I had an old silk voile floral dress at least twenty years old, and I love silk for doll clothes.  It's all I used when I used to make miniature dolls before the days of the home computer and the WWW.  It's not as springy as polyester and you can iron it and steam it and generally get it to behave.  




The original dress had tiers of three ruffles around the bottom that I used for the skirt.  I even reused the small tie on the front at the shoulders.  The lambskin belt was made from a scrap.  The earrings are some little flower findings from the craft store and Swarovski pearls.  While rummaging I also found a few old silk camisoles in the spare room that have some nice embroidery and lace trim.  The bad news is the dress is still long enough to hem into a top that I will probably also never wear so it's back in my closet.  Sorry, Bob.  

No comments:

Post a Comment