Friday, January 14, 2022

Vintage Replica Aqua Linen Coat























I just got this gorgeous Tonner Anne Harper doll from Donna's Korner Kollectibles because she is made to wear vintage fashions.  This coat is another replica of a 50's design made from fine linen.  It's hard to see the yoke insets and topstitching which was also fiddly to do.  I'm going to redo this pattern and simplify the lining so it doesn't have those.  I'm going to make it a little longer as well because it turned out shorter than the dress.  But I'm okay with that.  I recently bought the book Madly Marvelous:  The Costumes of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and not all of Midge's coats were the same length.  So if it's good enough for Mrs. Maisel, it's good enough for me.  And the book is droolworthy if you're into vintage fashion.  Overall though, I'm happy with the fit of this coat.  One adjustment that always has to be made when translating human patterns into doll size is the back neck.  For some reason, the back neck always has to be opened up and this one ended up fitting great around the neck.  But this was another case where I should have made a muslin of the dress bodice because it didn't fit in the shoulders as I envisioned it.  But this time I had zero extra fabric as I cut this full circle skirt from a fat quarter.  So it's a bit sexier off the shoulder than I planned but still very pretty.  I accented it with pearly bead buttons and a while faux leather belt.  






 

1 comment: