Monday, January 26, 2009

YOJ Week 5-Embroidered Cuff



The theme for week 5 was the Bronze Age. When I did some research on jewelry of the bronze age, I found that they were pretty accomplished jewelers and used techniques such as filigree, granulation, repoussee, and lost wax casting. Since I can't do any of that stuff, I just went back to wire. The basis for this cuff is from a tutorial by Julie Sigmund of jewliebeads. Then I was further inspired by Perri's Week 4 piece to up the ante on the embellishments. I found out that it's harder to do than it looks without distorting the weave underneath. The cuff is made of copper and the coiling is 30 gauge silver. I used a large labrodorite bead in the center and tiny apatite and peridot beads for the embellishment.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I simply love this cuff, very pretty indeed. You did a really good job! And thanks to you, I have seen the work of Julie which I was not familiar with.
    ---
    Eni Oken
    www.JewelryLessons.com
    Online Community for Jewelry Makers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eni! I hadn't seen Julie's work either until recently, and I really enjoyed her tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, this is one of a kind! very beautiful cuff, beads and work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love your blog, thought I'd let you know I've picked you for the Lemonade Award. See my blog for details.

    http://youniquelychic.blogspot.com

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! That's a killer bracelet Nancy. That would of been a good one for the wedding.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Sorry I had to turn off comments for a while as I was getting spammed to death. For people wondering where to get the free tutorials, they are available at Szarka's website, www.magpiegemstones.com. Click on the resources and tutorials link. Thanks, Nancy

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.