Friday, March 9, 2012

Forest Sunrise

9"X12" Oil on canvas. I struggled with this one too. I redid the sky and background trees about three times and I still think the sky should be lighter. Oh well. Every painting is a learning experience. I've been reading "Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting", an old book but considered to still be the authoritative work on the subject. I tried to apply one (I can't clutter my mind with too many at once) of the principles of making the trees gradually lighten as they reach into the sky. But I tried to create a mood and I think I did that.

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I can't even paint, so no matter your own criticisms, I think it's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did that, too. In fact the first impression I got was the mood it created. Very nice! Are you still doing jewelry as much or is your focus shifting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup - you did it. The mood of the piece was the first thing that struck me. Very nice.
    Are you still doing jewelry as much or are you shifting focus towards painting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nancy! I have a show on the 24th so I'm back to doing jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic! Lots of attention to detail and that snow looks good enough to roll around in. A little snow angel in the background would be a good touch! lol

    ReplyDelete

Sorry I had to turn off comments for a while as I was getting spammed to death. For people wondering where to get the free tutorials, they are available at Szarka's website, www.magpiegemstones.com. Click on the resources and tutorials link. Thanks, Nancy

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.